Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stupid Thing #3 - Friends in Motion 3K

This morning, we did our last-minute replacement March Stupid Thing. Our original event, Unlock the City, sadly was rescheduled for a day we won't be in town. Not a lot of events to choose from in March, but we found the 10K/3K Friends in Motion charity run in High Park in Toronto.

We decided we weren't quite ready to tackle a 10K, so our goal was to run the 3K as fast as we could (fast being a relative term - I [Jen] have never been known for my velocity). Our average pace has been improving (shockingly) a lot in the last month or so, so we thought we'd put ourselves to the test. None of our friends decided to brave the hills of High Park in winter weather with us!

Shif trying to stay warm before the start. It was about 3°C (37°F).
They didn't have a bag check at the race, so no extra clothes!


I actually almost didn't make the race. I've been battling vertigo since Tuesday. I'm feeling a lot better, but I'm still a little wobbly. I woke up this morning with a few balance issues and I decided I would just walk the 3K. But then we got there.... and it looked so fun.... and everyone was getting ready.... and I took a little test drive and felt okay.... so I decided to run, but at a very leisurely pace. It probably wasn't very smart, but I didn't fall over.

The dizzy redhead

The 10k start

If you know anything about High Park, you know it's hilly, especially in the south half where the 3K course was. So it was just a wee bit challenging. Shif did a great job! She's improved her pace by 2.5 minutes per mile since the Resolution Run in January and she beat her goal for this race, despite going out a little too hard after finding herself at the front of the pack at the start. I actually did okay, despite the whole inner ear malfunction and not having exercised at all since Tuesday. I had to talk a couple walk breaks, but I finished in a decent time. When we mapped the route ourselves later in the day, we found that our course was actually 3.4K, so we got a little bonus running in, too. :-)

Serious runners, serious stretching
Holding up the same tree
Notice the "you're all winners" medals!

Shif doing some sort of quasi-yoga

No comments: